Washington

Below you will find any recent or upcoming changes to the family and medical leave and/or leave income replacement benefit law(s) within this state.

Washington Paid Family Medical Leave (PFML) benefits

What is the Update?

Washington Paid Family Medical Leave (PFML) benefits

The contribution rate was 0.6% (capped at $147,000) in 2022 with employers (with 50 or more employees in the U.S.) contributing 26.78%, and employees contributing the other 73.22%.

Effective January 1, 2023, these rates will increase as follows:

  • The contribution rate will be 0.8% (capped at $160,200)
  • Employers will contribute to 27.24% of the total premiums.
  • Employees will contribute to 72.76% of the total premiums.

Update (10/28/22). The state has announced that the maximum weekly PFML benefit an employee can receive in 2023 is $1,427 (the maximum weekly benefit in 2022 was $1,327).

As a reminder, under Washington PFML, there is a waiting week for medical leaves. There is also a waiting week for family care leave (which is one leave type that falls under the PFML “family leave” type). The two other forms of “family leave” i.e., parental, and military exigency, do not have a waiting week. Effective June 9, 2022, the waiting week in WA does not apply to medical leave taken “upon the birth of a child””. It does still apply to other medical leaves and family care leaves. Further, the waiting week for WA PFML benefits no longer counts towards an employee’s overall balance of leave.

A new benefit type was also added effective June 9, 2022. Employees may now take WA PFML family leave for the loss of a newborn or newly adopted child (within 7 days of child’s death). WA PFML is the first paid family and medical leave program to add a specific benefit for child loss.

Update (12/02/22): The ESD (Employment Security Department) released the 2023 WA PFML employee poster which must be displayed within your WA workplace. Additionally, an updated version of the paystub insert for 2023 (optional) is available as well. Please see the “Notice Requirements” section below for more information.

Handbook/Policy Updates

N/A

Notice Requirements

We recommend that you replace your current WA PFML poster with the new 2023 poster that must be displayed in your workplace, as soon as practicable, but no later than by January 1, 2023.

Find the updated 2023 employee notice at “Download the mandatory poster,” as well as the 2023 paystub insert (optional) directly below, here.

Larkin Action

The Larkin Company will consider any law changes carefully, and update our internal resources and processes, as well as our employee leave information packets, if necessary.

Further Company Considerations

Please ensure as a company you are offsetting any salary continuation/company top-up pay aligned with the updated weekly benefit rate maximum, effective 2023. Note: claims that begin after this date are eligible for the new benefit rate. The Larkin Company will adjust offsets for any top-up (leave of absence pay) calculations or STD, accordingly, if we handle these services for you.

Please also be sure to adjust your contributions in line with the updates, effective 2023.

Select another state

Select a state from the map below to view a consolidated version of information provided throughout the year.

Disclaimer

The Larkin Company has taken reasonable steps to ensure the accuracy of the information on this page, however we make no representation or warranty of any kind as to its accuracy or completeness. These resources should not be construed or substituted for legal advice. Accordingly, before taking any actions based upon such information provided herein, we encourage you to seek competent legal advice from a licensed attorney or appropriate professionals.